background

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Birth Story Pt. 2

After my relatively pain-free delivery, I had a few minor issues.

We had the first hour of skin-on-skin time, then Liora was weighed and measured, then she got to have more bonding time. She actually started nursing! Way to go little girl! For a long time. There was apparently some crisis in the maternity ward, so I stayed upstairs an extra half an hour. The whole time she was drinking!

Mom and my SIL had been waiting the whole day for the news and the OK to come. The showed up around 5:30. It seemed like I had just got in my room. I know my food had just arrived. By food I mean 4 slices of bread with 2 pieces of cheese and 2 slices of meat, a mini salad and a piece of fruit. I was ravenous! Thankfully I had asked mom to bring some food and she had chicken tandoori that I later ate.

Mateo was so excited to meet his sister. I feel like I was kind of out of it during that visit. I could not really hold Mateo, because I was still connected to the IV and I did not want to move around much, because I had not been cleaned up and the epidural was wearing off, so I just was not feeling myself.

Once I ate and they cleaned me up and helped me get into PJs, I felt 'the urge.' To me this was a VERY good thing! With Mateo I could not feel anything for a while and it made things kind of complicated. I really wanted to go pee, because I knew it meant I could get my IV out, I would not have to be 'emptied' later and just in general, the sooner, the better!

I was scared because of what happened with Mateo. Rightfully so.  Even though I had eaten and had something to drink and stood up very slowly (and then sat down to try again), I still passed out while on the toilet. Just what I did not want to do!!!  I walked very slowly with hubby and the midwife holding me, sat down, heard some tinkling which made me very happy and then I mumbled something and then I was off in some far away place, no idea where I was. When I came to there was another midwife and the bed was pushed to the door. I nearly passed out again just taking the 2 steps from the toilet to the bed. Kind of embarrassing, but I am used to passing out by now. Only this is the worst it has ever been. Hubby and my mom said it was really scary looking. That my head rolled back and then I suddenly jerked up. Thankfully Mateo did not see it, so he was not scared.

They decided to leave the IV in a bit longer for the extra nutrients or something, but it was out before bedtime. Yippie!

When the doctor came to examine me that night, she told me that I had a hematoma that did not look good. I am glad I could not see what it looked like. Every midwife that checked on me during my stay would comment on it. My doctor came specially to check on it a few times. She wanted it to go away on its own and was hoping she would not have to open it up. I am glad she made that decision! It was uncomfortable, but not unbearable at all. I had painkillers every few hours, so it did not really bother me.

Liora was born Thursday afternoon and we went home Monday morning.  By the time I left, the hematoma was down and spreading out.  I decided that getting an episiotomy is better than tearing! I think the doctor was able to put it in a less irritating spot or something, because although I feel discomfort, it is nothing like the first time. I could not walk normally for a month! By the time I left the hospital I was walking fine. A little slower, but I even stopped at the grocery store on the way home. Liora is 2 weeks today and I already have been on a few outings!

My experience is that the 2nd pregnancy is harder, but the birth/recovery is easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you've read this far down, leave a comment to let me know :)