background

Friday, June 24, 2011

Clipping Baby's Nails?

I am beginning to pack my hospital bag (the baby's is already done), but I am wondering if I should go buy baby nail clippers now to bring with? I am registered for a set that includes them with some other hygiene supplies, but I read that often babies scratch themselves in the first few days. I also have heard that you are not suppose to clip the nails for the first few weeks?

What advice do you have for me?

6 comments:

  1. I never clipped, I was afraid I was going to pinch their skin b/c they moved so much. I'd wait til they were a little longer and tear them off...my sister tore her kids off after a bath. It's really up to what you're comfortable with :) Mine both scratched their faces some, but soon learned to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Put small socks on the babies hands.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're not supposed to cut baby nails within the first six weeks after they're born. The skin is still attached to the nails and you could easily cut them. So just use some socks like mentioned above. Did that with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never clipped my baby's right away. I will be praying for you as your baby gets ready to make his or her presence known! God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My midwife said not to cover their hands. In the womb most babies suck their hands, and you want transition into this world to be as smooth as possible, so they should be allowed to have their hands. What I did with all my babies is I would bite a corner of their nail, and just tear it off. They come of really easy, but be careful to only take whatever white nail is above the nail bed.
    Either way, do what works for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't clip the nails until she was a few months old. I filed them :o) I didn't want to cover her hands, or tear the nails (for fear of tearing too much). Filing with a crystal nail file worked great for us.

    ReplyDelete

If you've read this far down, leave a comment to let me know :)