Link to the next in the circle.
![]() |
| March 12, 2015 |
I thought my topic for this letter would be "The same, but different."
I think it's natural that when you have a 2nd child, you often play the compare & contrast game. I think having the 2nd is an eye-opener that not all children are the same as your 1st. The 2 kids have the same parents, live in the same environment, yet you can already see at their young ages differences.
The game started with the pregnancy. The first one I got pregnant the first month, so I expected that with the 2nd. It was the 2nd month. What was the same was that I never threw up, but had about a month of a continuous naseated feeling.
I gained twice as much the first time around and needed to visit the bathroom ALL THE TIME, but with the 2nd I kept waiting for that phase and it never came. Yay! I had a hard time sleeping with the first, but the 2nd time around, I slept great, however, everything seemed to take much more effort. Was it having a toddler running around zapping all the energy? Could be.
With Mateo I went to the hospital the day after my due date. With Liora I had to be induced at what the doctor figured was 9 days overdue. If it based on an online calculator, I was 42 weeks. That was a big lesson for me! I know this will sound silly, but I always thought when people went that far overdue, they had just miscalculated...now I know, babies come (or don't ?!) when they want.
My recovery was much better with my daughter, but the homelife adjustment was much harder. I actually still feel like I'm not totally adjusted. Hard to know which ones' needs are the more important ones at a given moment.
Both babies nursed like pros already in the hospital and I don't think every dropped beneath their birth weight, but Mateo started taking a bottle (pumped milk) at 6 weeks and Liora NEVER did. Both loved eating real food, but one ate earlier than another.
Liora slept through the night a few months earlier, but needed to drink much more in the day.
Some differences I attribute to the boy/girl discussion. Mateo crawled and walked earlier, but Liora seems to be speaking earlier and copying lots of sounds and actions earlier.
BOTH kids love attention and try to get it in their own ways and both are easier for other people than for mommy and behave nicely for others.
One area I am hoping for a difference is that Liora is potty trained earlier! She never had a pacifier like her brother, so dealing with her thumb sucking may be something we have to address in a few years.
Differences and similarities...always paying attention to them.



Wow! This is SO me! Aviel and Asher both nursed great at first, but Aviel took a bottle as well and Asher refuses it. I thought it was because with the first i worked and not with the second, but there might be other factors. ;)
ReplyDeleteSuch special memories of a precious time ❤️! It really is amazing how different they can be!
ReplyDeleteSuch cute kiddos, it really goes to show that each one is unique in their own little way, even from when they're in your belly :)
ReplyDeleteHi Leah, so glad I re-found your blog! I didn't know you had a little girl. Such a pretty name. Is it Dutch? At this stage I can't imagine having two. You're doing a great job!
ReplyDeleteHI Alissa! Are you on FB? No, the name is actually Hebrew. So far we haven't met anyone with it :) No, we ddin't do any sleep training. She sucks her thumb, so I think that helped her to be able to comfort herself. I am very blessed. She is very easy to put to sleep!
DeleteWhat I learned from the first...have them be used to sleeping with light in their room. He is 3 and still needs it rather dark to sleep. Have them sleep separate from you. M was with us until he was 7 months. A week after he was in his own room he started sleeping through. When L started waking up again after she could sleep through, I moved her into the laundry room, since she didn't have her own room. It worked great. AND, I believe in lots of sleep, but maybe my kids are just sleepy heads. If they are whiny, I put them in bed. My great tips haha.
Thanks for the tips. You are blessed indeed! Our little guy settles easily, but he is such a night owl! Most nights we can't get him down before 11pm. If we get him to sleep by 7 or 8, he thinks it is a nap and only sleeps 20mins. Slowly working on a better routine. I'm just amazed at how little sleep he needs.
ReplyDeleteSuch cute kiddos! It always amazes me how two kids, raised under the same circumstances can be so different in so many ways. I have twins and they are the same way.
ReplyDelete